- The Western Australian government has launched the program to fill demand for skilled construction workers.
- Applicants can get up to $10,000 in grant support to cover visa fees, agent fees, and travel costs.
- Eligible occupations include electricians, architects, surveyors, bricklayers, engineers, and more.
- Applicants must first register interest and then be sponsored by an employer for a 482, 494, or 186 visa.
- The program aims to help meet housing demand as WA continues to grow.
The Western Australian (WA) government has introduced an exciting new initiative – the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program 2023. This program provides grant payments to employers to support skilled migration and help fill demand for construction workers in WA. With the state’s housing market booming, the construction industry urgently needs to expand its skilled workforce. The Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program offers tremendous opportunities for migrant workers looking to live and work in Australia.
learn about the grant support available, eligible visas and occupations, application process, and tips for finding jobs in WA. Whether you’re an electrician, architect, engineer or other construction professional, be sure to read on to see if you could benefit from this program.
Grant Support Available
The key advantage of the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program is the generous grant funding on offer. Successful applicants through the program can receive up to $10,000 in payments. This grant can be used to cover:
- Migration agent fees – The cost of getting professional visa application assistance.
- Visa application fees – The government charges to apply for work visas.
- Relocation costs – Getting you and your belongings to Australia ready to start work.
This grant makes the usually expensive and complex process of migrating to Australia much more affordable. You won’t have to worry about finding thousands of dollars upfront to cover the costs of visas, agents, flights, shipping and settling in upon arrival.
To participate in the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program 2023, applicants must be sponsored by an employer in WA on one of these eligible visa subclasses:
- 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa
- 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa
- 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa
The 482 and 494 are temporary visas, while the 186 ENS visa leads to permanent residence in Australia. To be sponsored for any of these visas, you’ll need a genuine job offer from an approved employer in WA. Your occupation will also need to be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations (more details below).
Occupations in Demand
Not just any construction worker can access the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program. To qualify, you must have qualifications and experience in an eligible construction-related occupation.
In 2022, WA has strong demand for these professionals:
- Structural engineers
- Civil engineers
- Engineering technicians
- Building technicians
And many more roles across the construction and engineering sectors.
Be sure to check the full list of eligible occupations for the subsidies program. As long as your occupation is on the list, you can proceed to the next steps.
To score a construction job in WA with visa subsidy support, you’ll need to meet these key eligibility criteria:
- Have qualifications and skills in an eligible construction occupation
- Complete the online Skilled Migrant Employment Register
- Be sponsored by an approved WA employer for a 482, 494 or 186 visa
- Meet all other criteria for the nominated visa subclass
It’s important to note the subsidies program does not provide job offers. You will need to independently find an employer willing to hire and sponsor you. We’ll discuss tips for job hunting later in this guide.
How to Apply
If you meet the eligibility criteria, take these steps to apply for the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program 2023:
1. Complete the online registration form
Head to the Skilled Migrant Employment Register and fill out the registration form with your details.
2. Get contacted by employers
Once registered, WA Migration Services will add you to a database that employers can search. Interested employers will then contact you directly.
3. Secure a job offer
Impress potential employers to get a genuine job offer and sponsorship for a 482, 494 or 186 visa. Make sure the offer is for an eligible occupation.
4. Apply for visa
Work with your employer and migration agent to prepare and lodge your visa application.
5. Get visa grant
If successful, you’ll be granted your chosen visa with $10,000 in support from the subsidies program.
Finding Jobs in Western Australia
The key challenge with the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program is finding an employer willing to hire and sponsor you. Here are some tips to maximise your chances:
- Use your networks – Leverage any existing professional or personal connections in Australia. Friends, family, colleagues, teachers or clients based in WA may be able to recommend potential employers or pass on your resume.
- Look on job sites – WA employers advertising for workers will often clarify if they can sponsor 482, 494 or 186 visas. Search Seek, Indeed and LinkedIn for suitable openings.
- Contact firms directly – Identify construction/engineering companies in WA working on major projects. Get in touch with them speculatively to pitch your skills and enquire about possible opportunities.
- Use a migration agent – Agents have networks with WA employers and can match you with sponsorship vacancies. Though this will involve paying fees.
- Consider regional areas – Relocating to regional WA (outside Perth) vastly increases your chances of securing sponsorship. Unemployment is lower and migrants are in-demand.
Alternative Option – 476 Work Visa
If you struggle to find an employer to sponsor you through the Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program, consider the 476 work visa as a backup option. The 476 allows many professionals – like engineers, technicians and trades workers – to live and work in Australia for 18 months without sponsorship.
Though you won’t get the $10,000 grant, the 476 lets you enter Australia and hunt for sponsorship opportunities once you are here. It’s a handy stepping stone to eventually transition to a long term 186/ENS visa.
The new Australia Construction Visa Subsidy Program 2023 provides an unbelievable opportunity for migrant construction and engineering professionals to relocate to WA with financial support. With key industries crying out for skilled workers, it’s the perfect time to make the move Down Under. If you meet the eligibility criteria and can impress an employer, you could have your visa costs covered and be on your way to a fresh life in Australia very swiftly. Act now and take advantage of this incentive before places fill up!