Are you a college student interested in gaining real-world experience in finance while making an impact on international development?
The World Bank Treasury Internship program offers an incredible opportunity to work with experts at one of the world’s largest development banks.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the World Bank Treasury Internship 2024, including:
- Overview of the World Bank Treasury Internship
- Key benefits of participating
- Eligibility requirements
- Step-by-step application instructions
- Application timeline and deadlines
Plus, we’ll provide pro tips for putting together a strong application.
If you’re ready to take your finance education to the next level, keep reading to find out how to apply for the World Bank Treasury Internship 2024!
What is the World Bank Treasury Internship?
The World Bank Treasury Internship is a paid, 10-week summer program based in Washington, D.C. It’s designed specifically for undergraduate students interested in finance, economics, business and related fields.
As a World Bank Treasury intern, you’ll gain hands-on experience working on international finance and development projects. You’ll collaborate with experts, attend special speaker series, and get exposure to careers in financial services.
Here are some key details about the internship program:
- Open to international and U.S. citizens – Students from all nationalities can apply
- Paid contract position – Earn up to $24.60/hour (gross)
- 10 weeks long – Runs from late May to early August
- Located in Washington, D.C. – Interns must be on site for the full program
- Undergraduate students only – Rising juniors and seniors are eligible
- Rotating teams – Get experience in 3 different departments
This is truly a one-of-a-kind internship for gaining real finance skills while contributing to the World Bank’s mission of global development.
Editor’s note: The World Bank Treasury Internship stands out as the only dedicated program for undergrads within the World Bank. It was created to help exceptional students launch careers in finance.
Why Apply for the World Bank Treasury Internship?
There are many great reasons to apply for the World Bank Treasury Internship 2024:
Build In-Demand Finance Skills
As a Treasury intern, you’ll develop technical abilities most finance employers are looking for. This includes financial modeling, data analysis, portfolio management, risk assessment, and more.
Rotating through 3 Treasury teams also allows you to explore different finance focus areas.
Network with Finance Leaders
You’ll have access to senior World Bank experts for mentorship and advice. Attend speaker series to hear directly from directors and managers in various finance roles.
This is an invaluable opportunity to grow your professional network in the finance and development sectors.
Gain International Exposure
Get firsthand experience with the financial operations of a renowned global organization. Learn how finance can drive sustainable development worldwide.
Working at the World Bank HQ allows you to connect with people from around the world.
Paid, Short-Term Contract
The Treasury Internship is a paid contract position, so you can earn money over the summer while boosting your resume.
As a contractor, you’ll get real workplace experience without a long-term commitment. It’s a great way to test out an interest in development finance.
Path to Full-Time Positions
Many former Treasury interns have transitioned into 2-year associate roles or other positions at the World Bank after graduation.
The internship can serve as a pipeline into full-time employment with ample advancement potential.
Am I Eligible for the Treasury Internship?
To qualify for the World Bank Treasury Internship 2024, you must meet the following core eligibility criteria:
- Pursuing a 4-year undergraduate degree
- Completing either your 2nd-to-last or final year of studies
- Graduating between January 2025 and September 2025
- Interest in business, finance, economics or related majors
- Available to work full-time for the entire 10-week program
- Maintain good academic standing at your university
- No prior or current World Bank internships/employment
So students in their junior or senior years of a bachelor’s degree program are eligible to apply. All nationalities are welcome.
Pro tip: Check that your expected graduation date falls within the required window. This is a key requirement for intern eligibility.
How to Apply for the World Bank Treasury Internship
Applying for the World Bank Treasury Internship 2024 involves the following steps:
1. Check Application Deadlines
New applications open every December for the internship that takes place the following summer.
The deadline is usually in mid-October the year before. So for the 2024 internship, the deadline will be around October 15, 2023.
Mark your calendars and be ready to submit your application as soon as it opens. Competition is very stiff for this prestigious program.
2. Prepare Required Documents
You’ll need to include several documents with your online application:
- Resume/CV – Showcase finance-related academics, extracurriculars, and experience
- Transcript – Provide an up-to-date official or unofficial transcript
- Cover letter – 1-page customized pitch for why you’re a great fit
- Writing sample (optional) – Relevant paper or project showcasing your skills
Pro tip: Start early to allow time for drafting your resume, cover letter, and other application materials.
3. Complete Online Application
Applications are submitted through Indeed.com. When open, search “World Bank Treasury Internship” to find the posting.
You’ll answer questions about your background, interests, skills, and availability. The requested documents can also be attached.
Double check that all parts of the application form are filled out properly before submitting.
4. Arrange Interviews if Selected
If your application is selected, you may be contacted to schedule 1-2 video interviews. This is your chance to make a strong impression and advocate for why you should be chosen.
Come prepared to discuss your interests in development finance and how your experiences align with the internship. Revisit your application materials to refresh your memory before interviews.
With preparation and practice, you’ve got this! The rewards of the World Bank Treasury Internship are well worth the effort.
World Bank Treasury Internship 2024 Key Takeaways
- The World Bank Treasury Internship is a paid summer program in Washington, D.C for undergraduate students interested in finance.
- As an intern, you’ll get hands-on experience rotating between three Treasury departments while contributing to international development projects.
- Benefits include building in-demand finance skills, networking with experts, gaining global exposure, earning money, and potential path to full-time employment.
- Eligibility requires you to be a junior or senior pursuing a four-year degree, graduating between January 2025 and September 2025. All nationalities can apply.
- To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, transcript, and other required documents through Indeed.com by the mid-October(15) 2023 deadline.
The World Bank Treasury Internship 2024 is a truly unique opportunity to jumpstart your career in finance while making a global impact. Take advantage of this valuable chance to work alongside leaders in development finance.