- Several organizations offer scholarships for students under 5′ tall, like Little People of America.
- Eligibility criteria often include being under 4’10”, pursuing higher education, financial need.
- Popular short people scholarships include Little People of America, Billy Barty Foundation, Cappex Easy College Money.
- Scholarships aim to help short students who may face challenges or limited opportunities.
Got No Time? A Quick Answer for you:
Yes, there are scholarships available in 2023 specifically for students who are considered short, usually under 5 feet tall. Organizations like Little People of America and the Billy Barty Foundation offer awards to help short students pay for college. Meeting height requirements, demonstrating financial need, and being enrolled in higher education are common eligibility criteria. With proper preparation and by applying early, short students can increase their chances of earning these unique scholarships.
Many people are unaware that scholarships exist for students of short stature, but several organizations recognize the challenges short students can face and aim to help them achieve their academic goals.
Why Are There Scholarships for Short Students?
Scholarship providers targeting short students understand that being below average height can come with difficulties like:
- Limited career options – Some jobs have height requirements that may exclude shorter individuals. This can discourage short students from pursuing certain career paths.
- Feeling disadvantaged – Shorter students can feel at a disadvantage compared to average height peers, affecting confidence.
- Fewer scholarship opportunities – Most scholarships do not consider height, so short students have fewer options.
These groups want to expand opportunities for short students who exhibit financial need and academic merit. The scholarships aim to help them overcome obstacles related to their height and empower them to pursue higher education.
Popular Scholarships for Short Students
Here are some of the top scholarships available in 2023 specifically for students under 5 feet tall:
1. Little People of America Scholarship
One of the best known scholarships for short students is from Little People of America (LPA), an organization that supports people with dwarfism.
- Under 4’10” in height
- Pursuing undergraduate or graduate degree
- U.S. citizen
The LPA scholarship recognizes the applicant’s community involvement, financial need, and academic goals.
2. Billy Barty Foundation Scholarship
The Billy Barty Foundation provides scholarships to students with medical dwarfism each year.
- Diagnosis of dwarfism from doctor
- Pursuing higher education
- Financial need
The nonprofit funds the awards through donations and a celebrity golf tournament.
3. Cappex Easy College Money Scholarship
The Cappex Easy College Money scholarship awards $1,000 monthly, open to any upcoming or current college student regardless of height.
- Have Cappex profile
- U.S. citizen or legal resident
The simple application makes this an easily accessible option.
Tips for Short Students Applying for Scholarships
Here are some tips to help short students find and win scholarships:
- Highlight financial need – Many short people scholarships prioritize applicants with demonstrated financial need, so be sure to emphasize this in your application.
- Apply early – Applying as soon as applications open gives you the best chance, as some providers award on a first-come basis.
- Follow all instructions – Carefully abide by all requirements and submit all requested materials to avoid disqualification.
- Focus your goals – Share your specific career/academic goals and explain how the scholarship will help you achieve them.
- Proofread everything – Typos or errors can ruin even the best applications, so proofread before submitting.
- Express gratitude – If awarded, send thank you notes showing your appreciation.
The Bottom Line
Scholarship opportunities do exist to help college students with height considerations. Although limited, short students should not hesitate to apply for any scholarships they are eligible for. With preparation and perseverance, funding higher education as a short student is certainly within reach.
The key is to seek out every potential opportunity, emphasize financial need, and follow instructions closely. Organizations want to empower short students to pursue their dreams. So with the right approach, getting a scholarship for being short is absolutely possible in 2023.